Below is the schedule of events for the 2019 NIT League Transportation Summit in San Antonio, Texas. Check back regularly for additional details.
Monday, January 29
NITL Annual Golf Classic
8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
The TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas takes golfing to a whole new level. Redesigned in 2008, the TPC Four Seasons Las Colinas is an award-winning golf resort designed to be challenging for professional golfers as well as inviting to recreational players. This world-renowned course is an ideal venue for making new connections and strengthening relationships with other leading shippers and carriers who are attending the Summit! Pre-registration required.
VIP Tour: AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys
8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
What does it take to stage a professional football game at a sold-out, state-of-the-art stadium that seats 80,000 and can hold as many as 105,000? The guided tour includes a special presentation from a member of the stadium logistics staff. Tour participants will visit the playing field and locker rooms and other areas of the stadium and enjoy lunch in the Stadium Club. Pre-registration required.
NITL Ocean Transportation Committee Meeting
2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
A meeting of the Ocean Transportation Committee, chaired by Julie Alsup. The meeting is open to all Summit attendees.
Opening General Session: Keynote Speaker Derek Leathers
4:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Werner Enterprises CEO Derek Leathers will set the stage for the 2018 Summit by opening with a keynote presentation on developing a strategic plan in a time of regulatory uncertainty. Mr. Leathers will share his insights on the different influences at play in the transportation industry, such as economic factors, transportation-specific issues, political changes, and developing technologies.
Opening Reception and Exhibits
5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Celebrate the opening of the 2018 NIT League Transportation Summit and the trade show at a reception for all attendees. Light hors d’oeuvres and beverages will be served as you reconnect with colleagues and meet exhibitors.
Tuesday, January 30
NITL Rail Transportation Committee Meeting
7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
A meeting of the Rail Transportation Committee, chaired by Frank De Castro. Portions of the meeting are open to NITL members only.
General Session: Freight Transportation’s Rapidly Changing Complexion
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Hear how technologies like enhanced autonomy, truck platooning/peloton software, and increasingly sophisticated transportation management systems are already providing solutions today and changing tomorrow’s freight landscape. If you’re responsible to your organization for freight transportation, customer service, or procurement of materials, you can’t afford to miss this panel discussion.
- Steve Boyd – Co-Founder and Vice President of External Affairs, Peloton Technology
- Tom McLeod – President and CEO, McLeod Software
- Brent Hutto – Chief Relationship Officer, Truckstop.com
- Dr. Terry Esper – Professor of logistics, The Ohio State University (Moderator)
General Session: The Next Wave of Transportation
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
What’s next on the freight transportation horizon? Hear insights into a new forecasting concept that estimates freight rates 12 months into the future based on historical and seasonal data.
- Scott Moscrip – Founder & Chairman, Truckstop.com
- Jeff Tucker – CEO, Tucker Company Worldwide (Introduction)
NITL Annual Membership Meeting
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Open to NITL members only.
General Session: Ocean Transportation Today
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Join a prestigious group of members of the maritime freight sector as they discuss current and future developments that will affect ocean transportation globally.
- Daniel Maffei – Commissioner, Federal Maritime Commission
- Don Pisano – Director, Green Coffee Association
- Richard Balzano – Deputy Maritime Administrator, US DOT Maritime Administration
- Julie Alsup – Manager of Government Relations, International Paper (Moderator)
General Session: Supply Chain and Workforce Development
3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Improved supply chain management (SCM) practices have the potential to increase companies’ overall financial performance. This presentation provides insights on areas of hidden value, ways of using SCM to unlock them, and how to better show the value of SCM in the boardroom.
- Stephen Timme – President and Founder, Finlistics
Recruiting workers to fill freight transportation positions, confronting daily operational changes, effectively managing vast supply chains, and keeping employees actively engaged are just some of the concerns logistics professionals face throughout their careers. This session will address those challenges head on, offering insights for both seasoned veteran and new transportation and logistics professionals alike.
- Rick Bawcum – CEO and Founder, Cimatri
- Taylor Robinson – President, PLG Consulting
5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
NITL Networking Dinner and Keynote Speaker Tommy Spaulding
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
After a full day of attending educational sessions, participating in business meetings, and visiting with vendors in the exhibit hall, unwind and indulge at the NITL Networking Dinner with Tommy Spaulding, a world-renowned speaker on leadership. Spaulding has spoken to hundreds of organizations, associations, educational institutions, and corporations around the globe. His October 2015 book, The Heart-Led Leader, is a New York Times and Wall Street Journal national bestseller. Spaulding will speak on the value and importance of building a professional network you can rely on in uncertain times.
- Tommy Spaulding – Founder and President, Spaulding Companies
Wednesday, January 31
General Session: Back to the Future of the Railroad Industry
7:45 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.
Our distinguished rail panelists will lead us on a journey into the future of the railroad industry. They will discuss how the customer and railroad experiences can be improved, and address how the industry and the rail network will handle the increased volume the domestic and international supply chains are facing. They will explore how railroads, shippers, and other rail industry suppliers can work together to maximize the rail industry for all parties, and they will look at new technologies that will influence growth and change in the railroad industry.
- Jean-Jacques Ruest – Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, CN
- David Eaton – Vice President of Sales and Marketing Carload, KCS
- Deb Miller – Vice Chairman, STB
- Eric Marchetto – Executive Vice President, Trinity Rail
- Eric Starks – CEO and Chairman, FTR Transportation Intelligence(Moderator)
NEW: General Session: Emergency Preparedness—Are You Ready?
9:15 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
Hurricanes. Earthquakes. Forest fires. Terrorist acts. These are just some of the challenges companies face above and beyond their daily operations. Developing emergency response plans for your facilities, staff, and operations are a crucial aspect of keeping your businesses running and protecting your greatest assets—your people.
- Brian Dailey – Global Emergency Response Competency Leader, Chemours
- Meredith Neizer – VP Transportation Operations, Armada (Introduction)
NEW: General Session: Capacity Challenges in Every Transportation Mode—What to Do?
10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
More than ever before, North American transportation networks are interdependent. When one mode is disrupted, other modes are affected. Today’s ongoing economic recovery, combined with truck regulations, rail disturbances, a rewrite of the world’s retail experience, and other factors, has stretched capacity like never before—pushing prices to historically high levels. Join a distinguished panel of industry executives as they share their experiences, insights and predictions and explore the current and future state of capacity across ocean, air, truck, and intermodal transportation.This is a must-attend session for anyone in the industry who wants to be positioned for success in a time of unprecedented upheaval.
- Jason Beardall – President, England Logistics
- David Eaton – Vice President of Sales and Marketing Carload, KCS
- Mike Heaton – Vice President of Global Business Development, Mallory Alexander
- John Hill – President & CCO, Pilot Air Freight
- Christopher Holloway – Vice President of Intermodal, JB Hunt
- Avery Vise – Vice President of Trucking Research, FTR (moderator)
General Session: Technology on the Horizon
11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
How will artificial intelligence (AI), self-driving vehicles, connected transportation systems, and other technologies affect the freight transportation environment over the next 5-10 years? This panel session will offer a variety of perspectives on technology, freight logistics, and the transportation workforce.
- Annette Mueller – Global Director, Maersk
- Aaron Lieber – Program Director, IBM Blockchain Solutions
- Brad Myers – Chief Commercial Officer, Amsted Rail
- Bill Driegert – Director, UBER Freight
- Randy Mullett – Principal, Mullett Strategies (moderator)
- Jennifer Hedrick – Executive Director, NITL
NITL Highway Transportation Committee Meeting
1:15 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
A meeting of the NITL Highway Transportation Committee, chaired by Jeff Tucker.
NITL Board of Directors Meeting
2:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.